My name is Shanabhai Padhiyar & I am currently living in Baroda. I had worked as Operator in Petrofils Cooperative Limited and currently retired.
I have participated in few short events -100m/200m during school time, but never thought that Running will become part of my lifelong habit. I was using the bicycle as a mode of transportation for my school as well as my workplace. After marriage, If i remember, it was around 1974 there was a 5k Run organized in Padra and somehow, i have participated in it & turned out as a winner in that race. This has spark up my running career. I was running short distances whenever i get a chance to do it after relocating to Baroda city.
I have moved to longer distances from Sabarmati Marathon at Ahmedabad & Tata Mumbai Marathon by participating in Full Marathon and turned out winner in most of the races that i have participated. I have done most of my races as barefoot.
Personal Best :
5k – 18:30 mins
10k – 41:00 mins
HM- 1:34 hrs
FM – 3:37 hrs
1. 2 Gold, 3 Silver & 2 bronze Medals at State level Swimming – in Khel Mahakumbh.
2. Winner in 5000 mt Run in 2008 and 10k (third) & 300 mtr hurdles (second) in 2018 at Malaysia.
3. 2nd Position at Tata Mumbai Marathon – Full marathon in 2017, 2018.
4. Winner in Half Marathon in 2016, third in Full marathon at Vadodara Marathon 2017.
5. 30+ podium finish medals at various running events at National level.
6. Cycling expedition : 2010- Mumbai to Delhi, 2013 – Baroda to Wagha Border, 2018 – Ahmedabad to Dandi.
My family & friends
My training schedule depends on season. I usually do swimming in summer & in winter, during marathon season, interval repeats, long runs are added in for the mileage. I usually do my daily commute via cycle, so that covers cycling & helps to stay me active through out the day. Important thing is to listen to your body and execute the workout as per the feel & the target race. Apart from this, Stretching & strength training is part of my daily routine.
Play whatever games you like but add Running to your training schedule as it’s the foundation of all sports. Start with small distances and be in a group/active team that inspires you to do it regularly.
Run for the Fit & Healthy Life.